Subject Curriculum Maps
Algebra Online Resources
online lessons, examples, practice problems for a variety of subjects
Study Island (School version)
The purpose of tutoring is to help students help themselves, or to assist or guide them to the point at which they become an independent learner, and thus no longer need a tutor.
This means DO NOT have this conversation with me:
Student: I need help.
Me: Okay, what would you like help with?
Me: Alright, let's look at your notes and have a focus point.
Student: I don't have my notes/ I can't read my notes/ I was absent
1. This does not help me help you.
2. Tutoring is to help with specific struggle areas, I cannot reteach you many objectives in 20-40 minutes.
3. Tutoring is not meant to reteach an entire lesson, but instead strengthen the understanding of an earlier lesson.
What can you do to have a successful tutoring session?
1. Come prepared: Bring your notes, problems you have tried (with work shown), have specific questions (why is this a 2? what would be the next step? how do I start this problem?)
2. If your notes are messy/ unorganized: work on penmanship, type them, bring the book to show the examples
3. Be respectful. Tutoring, on my part, is optional. A teacher is someone who leads a formal learning session. A teacher is a professional who follows a curriculum in a structured learning environment. A tutor is someone who helps a student understand the material he is learning. A tutor is informal and gives additional, special, or remedial instruction.
Power Hour: is a portion of lunch when students can get help or have a quiet place to work.
A teacher determines the time of their power hour, so students need to plan accordingly if they need to
see more than one teacher.
During power hour, students are allowed to have food and drink in my room
Parents PLEASE DO NOT request a conference to discuss your student during this time, this is time for the
Students should take advantage of this time to ask questions, complete any assigned work, or get missing
Tutoring is available until 8:05 am
During AM tutoring, students are allowed to have food and drink in my room.
Students should arrive by 3:15 pm
Tutoring is usually available until 3:30 pm
Indian Education tutoring TBD
*I will sometimes have meetings or duties either before or after school, always double check if I will be available*
Mu Alpha Theta (a math club of honor high school students)
Usually, these times stem from 3:15 - 4:00 Tuesday - Thursday.
Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.